Friday, December 22, 2006

Want vs Have to

I am the primary caretaker of our kid. I get him up in the morning, dress, change his poopies, feed him, decide who he will play with and what programs we will do. He goes to a 3 year old toddler preschool now three days a week. Its great for him and he really does like it. When the husband is home from work or working from and he doesnt have a morning meeting, I ask him to help me or to take the kid to school. He refuses ll the time and I always say that he needs to be familiar with his kids' school and bringing him there and/or picking him up. He needs to know what room number the kids class is. He needs to know what his teachers names are. For gods sake, he needs to know how to get to the fucking school. (its the same thing with the doctors office too)

So today, the husband is working from home and he tells me he has a light day. So I ask him if he wants to take J to school in the morning. He really didnt answer. I asked him again in an insistant way and he reluctantly said yes. I swear he acts like is not his job. That he shouldnt have to do this. What I dont understand is that there are fathers that would die for an opportunity to be a part of their kids routines and see them off to school every now and again. My husband doesnt want to have anything to do with it. What if I go on bedrest? What if I die? What if I have an emergency or I am sick or in the hospital? He wouldnt even be able to tell his parents how to get there or where to pick the kid up.

I just dont understand how it could be such an inconvenience to want to be a part of your kids life.

No comments: